Saturday, November 7, 2015

MY FAIR MIDNITE

















When I created Midnite the Rebel Skunk for Blackthorne to publish, it was because they wanted a super-crusader type. This was as far as I wanted to go, and they accepted it. Shows how much freer things were in 1987. All that mattered was flooding the market.
I was happy to learn that some people turned on to the character who weren’t necessarily “comics readers”: women (some with what are now called ‘curves’, and male appreciators of black beauty (“I know what you’re doing. She’s built like a sister.”). I also observe that I’ve had my interest in Tempest Storm and burlesque since at least age 24.

At the time, I was not a regular at conventions; my experience of comic books was mainly the Golden Age stuff, and I had no idea that there were concepts of “good” comics and “bad”. The character apparently met with great hostility in “comics fandom” (I wouldn’t hear the word “furry” or know that it was a fetish for some years to come), and Blackthorne was switching to superheroes but went out of business before I saw how things would really have gone if given a chance.

A Harry Reser group plays "Hello Montreal", a jolly Prohibition song.


COPYRIGHT 2015 BY MILTON KNIGHT

No comments: