Thursday, April 24, 2014

BOOK IN PROGRESS: CLR JAMES

The site Truthout has previewed a few pages from my current project, a 100 page + cartoon biography of CLR James, a Trinidadian journalist and activist.

Dialogue from James' 1930s stage play, TOUSSAINT LOUVERTURE.)

I will admit I was not knowledgeable of his story before I took on the project, but the research has taught me a lot of important stuff. The editor (who knew him late in life) has commented that it seems as if I had discussed the book with him. More previews and information about James here... http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/23254-clr-james-back-in-style-black-in-style-a-review-and-a-comic

From article:
"This marks the first appearance of excerpts from C.L.R. James, a Graphic History, a comic art book in process, drawn by distinguished African American artist Milton Knight, edited by Paul Buhle. The excerpts – young Trinidadian James grows to self-consciousness and emigrates to London, writes a play about Toussaint Louverture, with Paul Robeson starring – are easily understood."

Easily understood; that's a comment I like hearing more than you might guess.

Best Wishes,
Milt

COPYRIGHT 2014 BY MILTON KNIGHT

No comments: