Monday, May 25, 2020

AND THE MORAL IS...

I've read that Europeans weren't always pleased with Disney's penchant for neatly wrapping up the climaxes of fairy tale and fable adaptations. I read many years ago that one that was criticized was THE GRASSHOPPER & THE ANTS, in which the grasshopper's laziness was actually rewarded with a step up in life (being made Court Musician).

Friz Freleng sure caught that one in PORKY'S BEAR FACTS ("Working Can Wait..."). The gluttonous pig in PIGS IS PIGS didn't learn his lesson either. Another reason why I dig the other studios' stories more.

The Grasshopper's grim fate in Yasuji Murata's TWO WORLDS (1929)















 In LA CIGALE ET LA FOURMI - di Lortac e Landelle (1922). 


Certainly the story was taken more seriously as an allegory where starvation was a more immediate threat. 

***

Kids' kartoon of today: "I'm okay just being myself! I don't *HAVE* to be super strong!!"
The difference between "cartoons" and "childrens' programming".

***
 

 

No comments: