Monday, June 1, 2015

I'VE GOT YOUR BACK

It's refreshing to draw non-cartoons; almost recreation.

I had to kill a couple of hours today, so I stopped at the coffee house to draw people's...backs! I used to try to capture facial likenesses in my quick jottings, but (for now) that slows me up. I'm aiming for a general impression; physique, posture, pose, while my subjects stand at the counter. Backs differ. Clothing folds form designs of their own. A rear view can actually convey personality.

My thin Sharpie wore out during my session, causing me to miss a couple of good opportunities.. Fortunately, I learned the cafe has a jar of pens for artists & writers. From now on, I'll be using a ball-point! Inspired, I bought a small notebook on the way back, and plan (as always advised in manuals) to carry it in my pocket all the time.

BTW, this is my 300th blog post! Thanks to those who've stuck with it!


























COPYRIGHT 2015 BY MILTON KNIGHT

1 comment:

nodnarB said...

Cool stuff Milton! Folds sure are difficult. There is a new figure drawing session at my local art store that features clothed models. I'm excited to give it a shot!